- Book Title: Rise of a Wizard
- Book Series: The Alistair Chronicles #1
- Author: John Leddy
- Publisher: JL Publishing (August 12, 2015)
- Book Length: 32 pages
- Genre: Fantasy
- Reviewed by: Petra
- Rating: 2.5 Star
- Posting Date: November 11, 2015
When the request came in for me to review this story, I was immediately interested. This is a story straight up my alley: YA, fantasy, M/M, and… the campest fairy possible! Fair enough; Rise of A Wizard is a short story, but I’ll ignore that gladly.
The story has promise. And, yes, that is the best thing I can say about it. Here are the reasons why:
1. The story reads like a novel, until the author suddenly doesn’t know how to continue and just… stops… and leaves you hanging.
2. The story is marketed as YA. Why? I’ve got no idea. Perhaps because it’s fantasy? Rubbish. Even taking into consideration that the characters are mystical beings, none of them read as younger than twenty-five. Well, except for the half-giant… who reads like a toddler.
3. The setting is not complete. Then again, neither are the characters. Or the plot line. Or the editing.
4. A lot of action takes place, but Mr Leddy has opted for letting the reader decide why it happens.
5. The writing style is awkward at best and downright strange at its worst.
The main characters (a wizard, a fairy, a spider woman, and a half-giant) go on an adventure, more to keep the half-giant happy than anything else, and come across a battle. Straight away, the wizard decides to help the human knights; all but one of the combined fighters gets killed and they bring the surviving knight back to their… castle (I seriously don’t know; it never gets fully explained in the story), where they nurse him back to health.
It is only after the knight has left for his own home, and the gang follow him, that they learn his enemies are undead and a new battle commences. Just as they are about to be overwhelmed, the wizard starts to glow—the most powerful magick anyone has ever seen—and kills all the attackers in one, big, outward burst of light.
As you can see, there is loads of potential and I did enjoy the story, but… it really does need help. For that reason, I’m giving it 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Alistair is a gay wizard who lives in the woods. He has a very vibrant and unique bunch of friends and one day they decide to go out and seek some adventure…boy do they find it.
After saving a Knight from the gruesome battle Alistair and friends take him home to heal and after some bumpy beginnings he warms to the crazy little family and becomes one of them.
It isn’t all happy ever after though. Alistair starts to feel his magic morph and change. He starts to feel the limit of his magic might not be as limited as he thought.
Will he find a way to control his magic? Will he have the great adventure he seeks? Will he find love?
John Leddy is a budding and exciting writer. Looking to write up a storm in the Gay Romance Genre and whatever else takes his fancy. He hails from Salford in the UK and works full time as a Singer, Songwriter, Musician and Vocal Coach. He got the bug for reading a few years back and then slowly got into writing books.
Hoping to create great stories, steamy encounters and funny adventures, John will be writing til his imagination gives out……which will be never.
Hope you guys enjoy 🙂
Go to the Author Page for John Leddy
Go to Pinterest – Books We Talk About
Other Works by John Leddy :